Notre Dame Parish is Born:
The year was 1936. The first stirrings of what would become Notre Dame Parish began when Rev. Thomas Tormey, pastor of St. Isaac Jogues Parish in Hinsdale, rented a storefront in downtown Clarendon Hills. It was here a mission-chapel was established to serve the thirty-three families in the community, The first mass was celebrated on September 6, 1939, with Msgr. F. A. Purcell of St. Mel’s Church in Chicago blessing the chapel.
For the next eighteen years, two masses were celebrated
each Sunday in the chapel, which seated about 100 people.
Early in 1953, Rev. Thomas Doherty met with Bishop Martin McNamara to discuss the needs of the growing Catholic community in Clarendon Hills. Interest turned to the Middaugh Mansion and the adjoining property purchased by the Sisters of Christian Charity as a retirement residence in 1927. Mother Constance and her council agreed to sell the property for $50,000 and ground was broken for the new church in November 1954. It being a Marian Year, Rev. Doherty named the parish Notre Dame.
The dedication of the church took place at noon mass on June 12, 1955.
Today, Notre Dame is a spiritual home to nearly 1400 households with parishioners from Clarendon Hills, Darien, Hinsdale, Oak Brook, Westmont, and Downers Grove
A Mission Chapel Is Established:
“For the next 18 years, two masses were celebrated Sundays in the chapel, which seated about 100 people. Furnished with pews, an altar rail and other items from churches in the diocese, the chapel quickly lost its storefront appearance. Though not yet a parish, Notre Dame already existed in spirit.” – taken from left